Coach Yourself to a Big New Year’s Goal!
To help kick off your New Year, grab a pen and paper and try this goal setting activity!
Having a big goal in life is empowering. But the size of the goal isn’t as important as your intention to reach the goal. Here is a self-coaching exercise that’s useful in helping you shape your intention to reach your biggest goal this year. Grab a notepad and answer each of the following questions thoughtfully.
1. What single biggest goal would you like to achieve this year?
2. On a scale of 1 to 10, how strong is your intention to reach that goal? (1=low, 10=high)
3. If your intention is not a 9 or 10, it’s unlikely you’ll accomplish such an important change. What has to happen for you to turn your intention into a 9 or 10?
4. Imagine it is January 2018. Now describe your life as if your goal were achieved. “It’s 2018. Here’s what my life is like now as a result of reaching my goal…”
5. Still imagining, describe what you did to make it happen. “First I did this…. Then this… And I had to do this…” Sometimes looking backwards we can more easily see the steps we took, rather than looking forward and trying to see steps we need to take.